fDi Markets is an advanced web application that tracks global foreign direct investment at a project level, consisting of over 80,000 individual investment projects tracked since 2003. The system provides a range of modules and tools to examine project information, perform trends analysis and produce on-demand reports.
The application consists of a front end subscriber application and a backend data entry platform. The front end system consists of:
- Advanced filtering tools that allow selection of multiple criteria and saving of criteria
- Live data module, providing instant alerts on new investment projects and analysis of overall project trends.
- Email alerts system that allows users to customise the email alerts they receive. Each email alert provides details of latest investment projects linking back into the application for further detail and analysis.
- The company database provides detailed analysis on individual companies, including full detail on all investment projects.
- Project Database, providing interactive table of FDI projects which can be manipulated using a "point and click" sorting and filtering system.
- Trends Analysis module provides a broad spectrum of analysis outputs and options
- Report tools that generate on-demand fully formatted reports in MS Word and MS Excel, including charts, tables and accompanying commentary that provides insight into the data.
The back end data entry system provides:
- Tools for adding new projects to the system and updating existing ones.
- Unique "traffic light" quality control system which analyses input and flags incorrect, incomplete or suspect entries.
- Highly advanced algorithm that estimates project parameters such as jobs created and investment amounts where data is not available.
- Reports control system that ensures proactive management of server resources.
Loco Software has been involved with fDi Markets from its inception, developing the original CD-Rom based MS Access application. The web application has been developed over a number of years and Loco are responsible for all ongoing development and technical support. The core application is built with Adobe ColdFusion using the Fusebox framework utilising a MS SQL Server database. The reports engine is built with Visual Basic interacting directly with MS Office for report creation and taking advantage formatting, layout and graphic elements of the MS Office applications.